Sunday, November 18, 2007

Allegiance

Some of my readers have questioned my allegiance to the LSU Tigers. Allow me to explain how this came about for those of you who are in the dark.
Sadly, I was not raised with a particular team's colors pulsating through my veins. Both of my parents went to Millsaps, and while Mom got her masters from MSU and Dad got his from Texas, neither were die-hard fans. In fact, I don't think they even knew what a first down was. I always felt a little left out on Saturdays because of this oversight by my parents. But, I digress.
My choice of college didn't help my chances at finding a team to be faithful to. Come on, Smith is a women's college! Because I was in New England I didn't feel the peer pressure to commit to any team. However, on trips home, especially in the fall, I felt a little left out. I believe it was sometime in the fall of 2001 that I swore my allegiance to the LSU Tigers. There are three reasons for this, and I will list them in no particular order of import.
  1. I like the team colors. Purple and gold go nicely together.
  2. I needed a team to cheer for, and since both SEC teams in MS are (how to say this delicately....??) not good, I looked at our neighboring state's team. Hey, half of my family is from Louisiana anyway, plus I have land there. I can sort of claim it for that reason.
  3. A dear friend is a die-hard fan. To root against any team BUT LSU in his presence would be idiotic.
And there you go. The short and happy history of my fanship.

No comments: