Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers

Happy Father's Day! I am so lucky to have a great father of my own. I know that not everyone is so fortunate, so I count my blessings. I am also thankful for my husband's father, my father-in-law, for raising his son well and for setting a good example. It definitely shows in his own fathering to W. Again, not everyone has such an experience. Kudos to Barack Obama. Before thousands in a largely-black Chicago church, he challenged absent fathers to be more than just sperm donors. He challenged all parents to be more active. While he was, in this case, speaking specifically about the African American community, I think his words should be taken to heart by all of us, regardless of race, economic status and gender. To read more about his amazing speech, check out today's article from the NYT website.

No comments: