Friday, February 29, 2008

Thoughts?

Here's a response I wrote to the minister's post about last Sunday's sermon:
***
Let me first say that I'm sorry that I missed this sermon on Sunday. I was home with a sick husband. I did, however, hear some ladies at the gym talking about the message, which inspired me to come to the blog and check out what all the (positive) fuss was about. Mike and I read the post and had a really good discussion about character. I kept thinking about (bless her heart) Britney Spears as I read the post. The poor woman has had nothing but messed-up circumstances since she was a pre-teen. No wonder she's such a disaster now! But what does it say about our character, as a society, that we watch her with bated breath hoping for drama? I think such a society could benefit from a realistic examination of character. Do I think we should have character "education"? Definitely not. Do I think it's up to parents to convey character to their children? Yes, but I know that's not realistic in some circumstances. I think it's something that individuals must embrace and exhibit on a case-by-case basis; that is how one teaches character. When you have an encounter with a person with impeccable character, you know it, and hopefully, try to emulate it.
The other thought we had was this, with respect to you question, "Is it naive to say that an individual can have an effect upon a whole corporate or work culture?": It's important to think of what kind of effect you want. Do you want a negative effect? Do you want a positive effect? So many times I think people in the work-world get tied up in the negativity of their co-workers. What if "you" tried to be that positive person? Don't dis the boss, don't bad-mouth the receptionist, etc? How much of an impact could that have? I'm no Pollyanna, for sure, but I think there is something to be said for not being sucked into that negativity and pettiness (or, as I say, "that is SO sixth grade!!).
BTW, the husband is still ailing, but I will for sure be there on Sunday; here's hoping to meet you (Mark Smith) and anyone else who I might encounter.
Cheers.
****
Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Mark Smith said...

"What if "you" tried to be that positive person? Don't dis the boss, don't bad-mouth the receptionist, etc? How much of an impact could that have? I'm no Pollyanna, for sure, but I think there is something to be said for not being sucked into that negativity and pettiness (or, as I say, "that is SO sixth grade!!)."

What happens when doing that doesn't work?

That's the point I'm at.

Carrie Hotchkiss said...

To quote Donna Martin in "The Back Story" episode (90210 Season 3, Episode 8), you gotta "Scan, Discard, Select, Move On."